Whosoever...

Wednesday, September 2, 2020

But they that wait...


Be of good cheer.

"But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles".  Isaiah 40:31


In 1909 Bleriot, the aviator, was obliged to use crutches as the result of an accident, and, when mounting his plane to make the flight across the English channel, remarked to his companions, "I cannot walk, but I can fly."


"I cannot walk, but I can fly;" no roof can house me from the stars,
No dwelling pen me in its bounds, nor keep me fast with locks and bars;
No narrow room my thoughts can cage, no fetters hold my roving mind;
From these four walls that shut me in my soaring soul a way can find.

With books and pictures at my side all lands, all ages, are my own; 
I dwell among the master minds, the best and greatest earth has known; 
I flee to strange and storied scenes of long ago and far away,
And roam where saints and heroes trod in Time's forgotten Yesterday.

With every wandering butterfly or singing bird on vagrant wing
My fancy takes the airy trail, and follows it adventuring,
Higher than their highest flight, where cloud-ships drift and star-beams shine, 
I rise on tireless pinions fleet, and all the realms of space are mine.

From out the paling sunset skies the Twilight Angels come to me 
On dusky wings to bear me swift to shadowy haunts of Memory
Where 'mid the gardens and the graves, I wander, smiling through my tears, 
With all the dear and deathless dead, the loved and lost of vanished years.

And when the long, long day is done, I clasp the dearest Book of all
And through the dim, sweet silences I hear my Father's accents fall;
Then, though in chains, yet am I free. Beyond the pressure of my care,
Above Earth's night my spirit mounts on eagle wings of faith and prayer.

Annie Johnson Flint

N.J. Hiebert - 8231
 








Gems From My Readings ·
 674 Jennifer Crescent · Burlington, On L6M4L5 · Canada

No comments: